Kent Nagano has announced he’ll leave the Orchestre symphonique de leaving Montreal’s main orchestras both together with the Toronto Symphony Orchestra searching for directors to take the baton up.

Mr. Nagano, who will function as second-longest-serving maestro in the OSM when his term ends, made the announcement Thursday afternoon without giving a precise reason for his departure, saying only it seemed a natural transition point. Mr. Nagano renewed his contract on his other principal job with the Hamburg State Opera and Philharmonic Orchestra 20 years past.

Mr. Nagano came to the Montreal orchestra when it was emerging from shambles. The OSM had gone through four decades of money troubles, labor strife and uncertainty after almost 25 years in the article following the departure of director Charles Dutoit in 2002.

Mr. Nagano leaves the orchestra in far better position with a new concert hall, a strong balance sheet and years of critical acclaim. He promised to keep working during the end of his contract in 2020, and shared credit for the community in addition to the recovery with the orchestra’s board and administration.

“Over the past years we’ve accomplished nothing short of a miracle in shaping such a vital, financially stable, boldly innovative orchestra that has been illuminate the value of the symphony orchestra for the 21st century,” Mr. Nagano said in a statement.

Lucien Bouchard, the former Quebec premier who’s chair of the OSM’s board of directors, said the orchestra plans to continue a relationship with Mr. Nagano after his term ends, citing his importance to the community as well as the reality “he will leave an indelible mark on the institution” with his leadership, discipline and creativity.”

Together with ago and his attitude, the conductor became a Montreal celebrity beyond the concert hall. He brought music and in suburbs of the city, including one Thursday. The OSM scored an ode to the game named Hockey Legends that comprised spoken-word performances by players like Saku Koivu and Alexei Kovalev.

He brought the praise. A New York stop on the OSM’s U.S. tour last year gained a rave review in The New York Times and recent records also have been a critical success.

The orchestra said it will quickly establish a procedure to find Mr. Nagano’s successor, but the OSM will have some competition since it head-hunts new leadership.

Last spring, 42-year-old star conductor Yannick Nézet-Séguin was appointed the first new music director in 40 years in the Metropolitan Opera in New York and he promptly declared he would only maintain a minimal presence at his previous post in the Orchestre métropolitain de Montréal until his contract expires in 2021. His replacement has not yet been named.

Toronto Symphony Orchestra conductor Peter Oundjian is finishing his last season. He leaves as the orchestra gets after the departure of CEO Jeff Melanson 2016, in March, and also of board members and has become the face of the TSO since 2004.

Also on the Planet and Mail

Dance-opera Bearing offers take (The Canadian Press)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *